Parenting Time During Summer Holidays

In the News

Summer’s almost here! For parents who are separated, planning time with the kids during summer holidays can be challenging. Here are some reminders to assist you.

How is parenting time divided during the summer?

If there’s a court judgment setting out how you and the other parent are to divide your time with the kids during summer, you must respect it. The same applies if you reached an agreement that was approved by a court.

If no such judgment or agreement is in place, you can always discuss things with the other parent. You can also use mediation to arrive at an agreement. Such an agreement can then be submitted to the court for approval. It then has the same effect as a court judgment.

If you can’t reach an agreement, you can file an application in court for a decision on the matter. A judge will make a decision based on the best interests of the child.

Traveling outside Canada with your child

If you’d like to travel outside Canada with your child, you must have the other parent’s agreement — even if you have sole custody of the child. Customs officials can ask to see the written permission of the other parent. The Government of Canada has a model consent letter you can use for this.

If the other parent refuses to sign, you can apply to the court to authorize the trip. A judge will decide based on the best interests of the child, taking into account the reasons for the trip and the security of the destination.