Are you looking for a stimulating job in a friendly and dynamic workplace? Do you want to give back to society? Éducaloi’s team of 30 diverse professionals works together towards a common goal: simplifying and democratizing the law. Éducaloi is a flexible employer that prioritizes taking care of its employees and giving back to the community.
You have until October 15, 2021 to email us your cover letter and CV at: email@example.com
In addition, please send us a text of 500 to 700 words in English answering this question:
- “In your opinion, what are the biggest challenges when it comes to
- 1) plain language legal communication for the general public; and
- 2) the translation of simplified legal content?”
As a Plain Language Specialist – Translator, you will design, produce and present legal information and legal education content. You will ensure the quality of our content, both in terms of its simplicity and clarity and its legal validity.
In addition, you will review, translate, and adapt into English various content distributed on Éducaloi’s platforms or as part of internal projects. Finally, you will assist various organizations that request help to improve their own abilities to communicate clearly (public institutions, NPOs, private companies, etc.).
- Create, produce, and update our legal information and legal edsucation content for various audiences. Our content covers many areas of law and is published on several platforms (web articles, printed guides, handouts, infographics, videos, workshops, social media, etc.).
- Translate and adapt (from French to English) legal information and legal education content.
- Review internal and external translations.
- Develop and present workshops and conferences in plain English, in different areas of the law, for the public and for specialists.
- Provide unparalleled clear communication consulting services to a variety of clients and partners in the legal, community, institutional, and business sectors.
- Ensure the quality of content in terms of plain language and legal validity, including legal analysis and research.
- Collaborate on various projects, including proofreading, supporting colleagues, management, and external collaborators.
- Assist in the coordination of public legal education and outreach projects.
- Keep abreast of legal changes, market trends, the needs of target audiences, and best practices in clear legal communication.
What we would like to see in you
- Member of the Barreau du Québec or the Chambre des notaires du Québec (an equivalent title from outside Quebec could be considered).
- At least 3 years legal experience.
- Very good knowledge of computer tools such as the Office 365 suite.
- Valid driver’s license and available for occasional travel.
- Training or experience in communications or journalism.
- Training or experience in project management.
- Training or experience in pedagogy or andragogy.
- Excellent skills or relevant experience in the following areas
- Clear writing and communication of the law
- Legal research and analysis
- Design of dynamic and creative legal information or education tools.
- Fluency in English and excellent oral and written French.
- Excellent ability to simplify and synthesize.
- Autonomy and resourcefulness.
- Communication and conceptualization of ideas.
- Multi-tasking and priority management.
- Customer service orientation.
- Critical analysis and problem solving.
What You Will Like About Us (among other things…)
- A schedule that you manage independently and that allows you to balance your professional and personal life.
- Fridays without internal meetings!
- Our 3 annual “innovation” days, when you take the time to focus on a subject that motivates you personally!
- A flexible remote-working policy designed for post-pandemic life.
- Casual dress every day, even if you work with lawyers!
- Offices in the heart of the Old Port of Montreal (within walking distance of Place-d’Armes and Champ-de-Mars stations).
- An atmosphere that encourages collaboration, discussion, and laughter.
- Regular training sessions, not necessarily related to your position: tech tips, self-care, ergonomics, beer tasting, non-violent communication, etc.
- In addition to your weeks of vacation, 5 personal days and 14 statutory holidays per year.
Job Posting Period: September 27 – October 15, 2021