Private Seniors’ Residences


Private seniors’ residences are a type of rental housing for independent and semi-independent seniors. They offer personal care and assistance. They are privately owned and operated but must meet standards of quality and safety.

How to Apply

Apply directly to the residence you want. The government website has a list of certified private seniors’ residences (French only).

The residence can evaluate you, if you agree, to ensure its services meet your needs. You might be refused if you need care it doesn’t offer.

Once the residence accepts you, you sign a lease. A lease is the legal agreement you have with the residence that says what you and the residence must do. To learn about the responsibilities of landlords and tenants, see our website section Renting.

Choosing your services

Before signing the lease, the residence must give you a list of the personal care and assistance services it offers and their cost. Here are examples:

  • meals
  • help to dress, bathe, get around and take medication
  • nursing care
  • transportation
  • activities

You choose the services you want to include in your lease, and the cost becomes part of you monthly rent.

If you want personal services that are not in your lease, you pay for them only when you use them, but the residence can change the cost at any time.

The residence might include some general services with your unit, such as heating or internet access.

Signing the Lease

The residence must give you these documents:

  • the lease in the form approved by the government
  • a document called Schedule 6 which includes these things:
    • general services included in with your unit
    • personal care and assistance services you chose to include in your lease
    • your total monthly rent (basic rent plus cost of personal services)
  • the building rules, for example, rules for using common areas

You can cancel your lease before it ends in some situations. To learn more, see our articles A Tenant’s Right to Cancel a Lease and Cancelling a Lease Because of Special Needs.

The Rent

Each month, you pay the total monthly rent set out in the lease.

When it’s time to renew your lease, the residence might want to increase the rent or cost of personal services included in your lease. The residence must send you a written notice. You can refuse the change in writing within 30 days of receiving the notice. To learn more, see our article Renewing a Residential Lease and Rent Increases.

Quality and Safety Standards

The government sets quality and safety standards the residence must meet, such as providing space to receive visitors in private, treating residents with respect, doing housekeeping, installing call-for-help systems and ensuring the staff are qualified.

The government can inspect the residence at any time. You can get information about the residence and check whether it is certified on the government website (French only).

Your Rights

You have basic rights, including the right to be treated with dignity, respect for your privacy and live in a clean, safe environment.

The residence must give you a copy of its code of ethics that spells out the conduct expected of staff toward residents.

You also have rights as a tenant. To learn more, see the articles in our website sections on Renting and Seniors and Housing.


If you have a problem with a private seniors’ residence, first speak to the person in charge at the residence. If your residence has a residents’ committee, you can also speak to the committee. If this doesn’t solve the situation, you can take further steps.

For problems about your lease, such as rent increases, contact the Régie du logement (rental board).

For problems about the quality of services, contact the service quality and complaints commissioner for your integrated health and social services centre (CISSS or CIUSSS).