Éducaloi’s mission is to inform Quebecers about their legal rights and responsibilities. We don’t answer legal questions about specific situations or give advice about what to do in a specific situation.
If you need legal information or advice about a specific situation, here is a list of places to contact.
You don’t know any lawyers?
The website of the Barreau du Québec (law society) has some useful tools:
- Search for lawyers and lawyer-mediators by region and language.
- If you are arrested, get a free consultation with a lawyer. (See the section “If you’ve been arrested.”)
- Get information on rental matters (service in French only): 1-844-227-3790
- Get information on criminal law matters: 1-888-954-9447
- Get help preparing for small claims court: 1-844-227-3781
The JurisRéférence website also has search tools:
- Search for a lawyer by region and area of law.
- Search for a lawyer-mediator.
- Find a a lawyer to help you prepare a case in small claims court.
You don’t know any notaries?
The website of the Chambre des notaires du Québec (notaries’ association) has a way to search for a notary using various search criteria, including language, region, and accessibility of the notary’s offices to people with limited mobility.
Under legal aid, citizens who meet certain criteria can get the services of a lawyer (and sometimes a notary) free of charge or at low cost.
Created by an organization called Pro Bono Québec, Votre boussole juridique is a search tool to help you find free and low-cost legal services across Quebec.
On an interactive map, you can find community, government, and other resources by region and area of law. Note that the website is in French only.
See a list of free and low-cost services offered by lawyers, notaries, legal clinics, and other organizations.
CliquezJustice.ca is the francophone national legal information website that helps people in Canada understand their rights and responsibilities, to better manage everyday legal problems.
It is intended for Francophones and Francophiles in canadian provinces and territories outside of Québec.