How to Legally Rent Your Place to Tourists  

In the News

As summer approaches, you may be thinking of renting your home to tourists. But it’s important to know how to do this legally. Be careful! Fines for illegal rentals can be steep! 

Register your place 

If you’d like to rent your apartment, condo, house or cottage to tourists for short periods of time, you have to register it as a “tourist accommodation establishment”. You must also register your primary residence if you rent it out occasionally. This registration must be repeated each year.  

To register, visit the website of the Corporation de l’industrie touristique du Québec (Quebec tourism industry corporation). You will have to obtain and submit: 

  • A document from your city or town confirming that you have the right to rent the place.  
  • Proof that you have insurance of $2,000,000 to cover any problems related to the rental.  
  • If you are a tenant: written authorization from your landlord.  
  • If you are a condo owner: written authorization from your condo association. 

The fine for renting a place that is not registered can be as high as $25,000!  

Post your registration number  

Your registration certificate must be clearly posted near the main entrance to the place being rented.   

You must also include your registration number in any rental ad, whether on an online platform like Airbnb or Vrbo or in any other type of publicity.  

Failure to respect these obligations can lead to a fine of up to $10,000.  

And don’t forget your taxes!  

Like any other income, you have to declare your rental income on your tax returns each year.  

Depending on your situation, you may have to register for the GST, QST and lodging tax, collect these taxes from your tenants, and remit them to the government.   

For more information, visit the website of Revenu Québec.