Office Holiday Parties: Do You Need an Alcohol Permit?

In the News

The holidays are fast approaching . . . and office holiday parties too! Are you organizing one for your team? Depending on your plans, you may need an alcohol permit. If so, it’s time to get on it! 

It all depends on the location of the party

An alcohol permit is usually not required if you organize an event at your office and provide your own alcohol. The same goes for events where people bring their own alcohol. 

It’s different if you organize an event outside of your office, for example, if you rent a room for your party. In this case, you need an alcohol permit even if you provide your own alcohol. An alcohol permit is sometimes included in the cost of renting a room, so check with the owner. 

Getting a permit

You must request a permit from the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux (Quebec alcohol and gaming commission) at least 15 days before the event. You must also provide documents and pay the permit fees.  The application form (only avalible in french) is available on the Régie website. 

You must meet some conditions to get a permit. For example, you can’t charge admission fees for the event. 

Visit the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux website for more information.