Changing Your Child Custody Schedule During the Holidays

In the News

The holidays are here! Are you separated or divorced and want to plan when your children will be with you over the break? Do you want to change your parenting schedule over the holidays? 


Since March 1, 2021, the Divorce Act no longer uses the terms “custody” or “access”. The law now uses the term “parenting time” to describe a divorced parent’s relationship with their child.

For more information, see our article: Divorce: What Is “Parenting Time” and What to Do When Moving.

Talk to the other parent

If the schedule you agreed on no longer works for you, you can discuss it with the other parent. Parents can come to an agreement without having to involve a mediator or a judge.

For example, maybe this year the other parent wants to have the children for New Years instead of Christmas, as planned. If that works for you, and if the arrangement is similar to the one you have (e.g., in terms of the number of days), you can simply change the dates.

Making long-term changes to the schedule

If you and the other parent want to change your parenting schedule permanently and officially, you can ask the Homologation Assistance Service to confirm the changes. For more information, see our article: Changing Child Custody or Child Support Payments at Little Cost.

If you can’t come to an agreement on a new schedule, you can ask the court to decide.